download PDF

Abstract

The paper considers the issues of choosing the optimal parameters of the regulator of automatic control systems with pulse-width converters taking into account their dynamic nonlinearity. Switching converters with voltage feedback are nonlinear dynamic systems in which nonlinear oscillations can occur if the controller parameters are incorrectly selected, which degrades the quality of the output voltage. The design of such systems, as a rule, is carried out using small-signal dynamic models that allow using the methods of the theory of automatic control of linear systems, but do not allow taking into account the possibility of nonlinear oscillations. When choosing the optimal parameters of the controller along with linear dynamic models, it is proposed to use nonlinear dynamic models of pulse-width converters, which make it possible to take into account the specific features of the nonlinear dynamics of systems of the class under consideration. In this work, using a specific example, the problem of a linear approach to the design of impulse power conversion systems is shown. An additional analysis of the system is carried out using the generalized mathematical model of pulse-width converters proposed by the author in one of the early works and the areas of the desired operating mode of the converter in the space of the controller parameters are identified. The importance of refining the region of optimal parameters of the controller using nonlinear dynamic models is shown. The method for choosing the optimal parameters of the regulator is proposed, which excludes the occurrence of undesirable dynamic modes of operation of the converter in a wide range of changes in the load resistance and input voltage of the converter. The presented results were obtained for the first time and can be extended to a wide class of pulse converters of electrical energy.

Keywords

Pulse-width converter, boost converter, pulse-width modulation, small-signal model, nonlinear dynamics, nonlinear oscillations, bifurcation, proportional-integral controller, dynamic mode, stability margin.

Aleksey I. Andriyanov

Ph.D. (Engineering), Associate Professor, the Department of Electronics, Radio electronics and Electrotechnical Systems, Bryansk State Technical University, Bryansk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4083-040X.

1. Severns R., Bloom G. Impulsnye preobrazovateli postoyannogo napryazheniya dlya system vtorichnogo elektropitaniya [Switching DC voltage converters for secondary power supply systems]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1988. 294 p. (In Russian)

2. Belov G.A. Teoriya impulsnykh preobrazovateley [Pulse converter theory]. Cheboksary, Chuvash State University Publ., 2016. 330 p. (In Russian)

3. Meleshin V.I. Tranzistornaya preobrazovatelnaya tekhnika [Transistor converter technology]. Moscow, Tekhnosfera Publ., 2005. 632 p. (In Russian)

4. Kobzev A.V., Mikhalchenko G.Ya., Andriyanov A.I., Mikhalchenko S.G. Nelineynaya dinamika poluprovodnikovykh preobrazovateley [Nonlinear dynamics of semiconductor converters]. Tomsk, Tomsk State University of Control Systems and Radioelectronics Publ., 2007. 224 p. (In Russian)

5. Zhusubaliyev Zh.T., Mosekilde E. Bifurcations and chaos in piecewise-smooth dynamical systems. Singapore, World Scientific Pub Co Inc., 2003. 376 p. doi: 10.1142/5313.

6. Zhusubaliyev Z.T., Mosekilde E., Andriyanov A.I., Mikhalchenko G.Y. High-feedback operation of power electronic converters. Electronics. 2013. No. 2. Pp. 113-167. doi: 10.3390/electronics2020113.

7. Yu D., Iu H.H.C., Chen H., Rodriguez E., Alarcón E., El Aroudi A. Instabilities in digitally controlled voltage-mode synchronous buck converter. International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos. 2012. Vol. 22. no. 1. Pp. 1-12. doi: 10.1142/S0218127412500125.

8. Mikhalchenko G.Ya., Mikhalchenko S.G., Obrusnik V.P. Problems of analysis of dynamic modes of operation of modular power electronics devices. Polzunovskiy vestnik [Polzunov Bulletin], 2012, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 107-116. (In Russian)

9. Okhotkin G.P. On bifurcations of periodic movements of the ACS current with PWM-1 and PI-CT. Trudy akademii elektrotekhnicheskikh nauk chuvashskoy respubliki [Proceedings of Academy of electrical engineering Sciences of the Chuvash Republic], 2002, no. 1, pp. 72-80. (In Russian)

10. Andriyanov A.I. Issledovanie nelineynoy dinamiki impulsnykh preobrazovateley napryazheniya [Investigation of nonlinear dynamics of pulse voltage converters]. Bryansk, Bryansk State Technical University Publ., 2016. 187 p. (In Russian)

11. Andriyanov A.I., Bulokhov N.M. The algorithms for bifurcation analyze the generalized model of dc/dc converters. Spravochnik. Inzhenernyi zhurnal [Handbook. An Engineering Journal], 2013, no. 10, pp. 30-39. (In Russian)

12. Andriyanov A.I., Sachenko E.A. Study of nonlinear dynamics in a three-phase transistor controlled rectifier with a PI voltage controller in regeneration mode. 2016 Dynamics of Systems, Mechanisms and Machines (Dynamics). IEEE, 2016, pp. 7818966. doi: 10.1109/Dynamics.2016.7818966.

13. Garg M.M., Hote Y.V., Pathak M.K., Behera L. An Approach for buck Converter PI controller design using stability boundary locus. 2018 IEEE/PES Transmission and Distribution Conference and Exposition.IEEE, 2018, pp. 1-5. doi: 10.1109/TDC.2018.8440291.