download PDF

Abstract

Methods for the exact determination of the surface waves velocity by the electromagnetic-acoustic method are proposed. The method is suitable for rectangular samples of ferromagnetic materials, in particular for structural steels. The velocities of ultrasonic waves in the material are shown to be related to the elastic moduli of the material. The determination of the elastic modulus values of the material is an important materials science problem. The best method for the determination of the speed of surface waves is that of electromagnetic-acoustic conversion, which combines both non-contact measurement and quick operation. Wire meander transducers are used as sensors, which can operate in two modes: a combined mode (one sensor generates a wave and receives its reflection) and a separate mode (one sensor generates a wave while the other one receives it). The main inaccuracies of the method have been analyzed. The main inaccuracy has been shown to be associated with the determination of the time interval of the wave propagation. This is due to the difficulty of obtaining the reference point since the probe pulse has a damped shape. A detuning from the probe pulse in determining the time interval of the wave propagation has been proposed. Another measurement inaccuracy is related to the accuracy of determining the base of the meander transducers (the distance between the centers) operating in separate mode. Simple formulas for calculating the surface wave velocity and the base of the meander transducers have been obtained. Technique testing was carried out using the sample of Armco iron. The accuracy of determining the surface Rayleigh wave was + 0.5 %. It has been shown that the use of modern digital detectors of time interval will allow one to obtain the accuracy of + 0.05 %. The velocity values obtained with the specified accuracy can be used to determine the elastic moduli as well as to assess the elastic properties of the material, for example, sheet metal anisotropy as an independent information parameter.

Keywords

Surface acoustic waves, Rayleigh waves, ultrasound, ultrasonoc velocity, elastic moduli, anisotropy, electromagnetic-acoustic method, ferromagnetic materials, accuracy of measurements.

Sergey E. Babkin

Ph.D. (Physics and Mathematics), Research worker, the Laboratory of electromagnetic phenomena, Udmurt Federal Research Center of Ural Branch of RAS, Izhevsk, Russia.

Marina Yu. Lebedeva

Ph.D. (Physics and Mathematics), Research worker, the Laboratory of electromagnetic phenomena, Udmurt Federal Research Center of Ural Branch of RAS, Izhevsk, Russia.

Yuriy I. Savchenko

Ph.D. (Physics and Mathematics), Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Physics, Institute of Natural Science and Standardization, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Olga N. Vostroknutova

Assistant Professor, the Department of physics, Institute of Natural Science and Standardization Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia.

1. Zolotorevskij V.S. Mekhanicheskie svojstva metallov [Mechanical properties of metals]. Moscow, Metallurgy Publ., 1983. 352 p. (In Russian)

2. Muraviev V.V. Skorost zvuka i struktura stalej i splavov [The speed of sound and the structure of steel and alloys]. Novosibirsk, Nauka Publ., 1996. 184 p. (In Russian)

3. Dixon S., Edwards C. and Palmer S.B. Texture measurements of metal sheets using wideband electromagnetic acoustic transducers. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 2002, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 816-824.

4. Potapov A.I., Makhov V.E. Physical basics of evaluating elastic characteristics of anisotropic composites by the ultrasonic method. Russian Journal of Nondestructive Testing, 2017, vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 785-799.

5. Viktorov I.A. Zvukovye poverkhnostnye volny v tverdyh telakh [Sound surface waves in solids]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1981. 288 p. (In Russian)

6. Komarov V.A. Kvazistatsionarnoe elektromagnitno-akusticheskoe preobrazovanie v metallah [Quasistationary electromagnetic acoustic conversion in metals]. Sverdlovsk, USC of the USSR Academy of Sciences Publ., 1986. 235 p. (In Russian)

7. Babkin S.E., Velichko V.V., Borovkova M.A., Ilyasov R.S., Vostroknutova O.N. Consideration of temperature and applied stresses with non-destructive testing by surface wave EMAT method. Vestnik Magnigorskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Bulletin of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2006, no. 3 (15), pp. 46-49. (In Russian)

8. Ilyasov R.S., Babkin S.E., Vostroknutova O.N. Influence of uniaxial and internal stresses on the electromagnetic-acoustic conversion in ferromagnets. Vestnik Magnigorskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Bulletin of Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University], 2012, no. 3(39), pp. 33-37. (In Russian)

9. Nerazrushayushchij kontrol i diagnostika: spravochnik pod red. V.V. Klyueva [Non-destructive testing and diagnostics: reference book, under the editorship of V.V. Klyuev]. Moscow, Machine building Publ., 2003. 656 p. (In Russian)

10. Thompson R.B. Model for the Electromagnetic Generation and Detection of Rayleigh and Lamb Waves. IEEE Transactions on Sonics and Ultrasonics, 1973, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 340-346.

11. Babkin S.E. The determination of the Poisson ratio for ferromagnetic materials using the EMA method. Russian Journal of Nondestructive Testing, 2015, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 303-307.

12. Murayama R. and Mizutani K. Conventional electromagnetic acoustic transducer development for optimum Lamb wave modes. Ultrasonics, 2002, vol. 40, no. 1-8, pp. 491-495.

13. Muraviev V.V., Muravieva O.V., Volkova L.V. Influence of the mechanical anisotropy of thin steel sheets on the parameters of Lamb waves. Steel in Translation, 2016, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 752-756.

14. Muraviev V.V., Tapkov K.A., Lenkov S.V. On the Question of Monitoring Residual Stresses in Selectively Heat-Strengthened Rails. Russian Journal of Nondestructive Testing, 2018, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 675-681.