download PDF

Abstract

The article describes the approach to constructing a thermal protection system for an induction motor based on the separation of thermodynamic processes into fast and slow. The structure of a two-channel thermodynamic model is substantiated, in which this principle of process separation is realized and the mathematical description of such a model is obtained. The advantage of the proposed approach is a small amount of initial data necessary for the parameterization of the thermal protection system. The proposed version of the thermal protection system uses a two-mass thermodynamic model of the motor to calculate the stator winding temperature rise above the ambient temperature, and at the same time providing a simpler solution to the problem of setting the initial conditions for starting the protection system after a break than the thermal control system of the electric motor using traditional thermal models. The problems of the proposed thermodynamic model parameters determining are considered. The values of fast and slow channel time constants for enclosed induction motors of different power are given. The approach to the account of the speed changes effect on motor cooling is set out. The influence of the error arising from the transition from the initial thermodynamic model (the two-mass model of the traditional type) to the model transformed to the two-channel version is analyzed. The algorithm of the thermal protection system operation based on the two-channel model for the situations of slow temperature increase and for short-term strong overload is described. The features of determining the initial conditions for the thermodynamic model under consideration after a break in the operation of the system are noted. The results of simulation of this protection system in Matlab/Simulink are given.

Keywords

Thermal protection, induction motor, thermodynamic model, thermal conductivity, heat capacity, mathematical modeling, Matlab/Simulink, heating time constant, thermodynamic processes, temperature rise of the stator winding.

Anatoliy M. Ziuzev

D.Sc. (Eng.), Professor, Department of Electric drive and automation of industrial plants, Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, Ekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Vladimir P. Metelkov

Ph.D. (Eng.), Associate Professor, Department of Electric drive and automation of industrial plants, Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, Ekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5640-1637.

1. Metelkov V.P. About calculation of parameters of two-mass thermodynamic model of induction motor. Vestnik Yuzhno-Uralskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya "Energetika" [Bulletin of the South Ural State University. Series "Power engineering"], 2016, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 58-65. (In Russian)

2. Gurevich E.I., Rybin Yu.L. Perekhodnyye teplovyye protsessy v elektricheskikh mashinakh [Transient thermal processes in electric machines]. Lenigrad, Energoatomizdat Publ.,1983. 216 p. (In Russian)

3. Kondratyev G.M. Regulyarnyy teplovoy rezhim [Regular thermal mode]. Moscow: Gostehizdat Publ., 1954. 408 p. (In Russian)

4. GOST IEC 60034-1-2014. Rotating electrical machines. Part. 1. Rating and performance. Moscow, Standartinform, 2015. 58 p. (In Russian)

5. Burkovskiy A.N., Pilipenko O.I., Rybalko O.A., Melnik A.A. Calculation-theoretical determination of the change in the thermal state of blown induction motors in the short-circuit and after-fault mode. Vzryvozashchishchennoye elektrooborudovaniye: sb. nauch. tr. UkrNIIVE [Explosion-proof electrical equipment: a collection of scientific works of UkrNIIVE], 2007, pp. 183-193. (In Russian)

6. Filippov I.F. Teploobmen v elektricheskikh mashinakh [Heat transfer in electrical machine]. Lenigrad, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1986. 256 p.

7. Burkovskiy A.N., Makeyev V.V. Investigation and approximation of the heating curves of explosion-proof induction motors stator windings in S1, S2 modes. Tekhnicheskaya elektrodinamika [Technical electrodynamics], 1982, no. 3, pp. 8-14. (In Russian)

8. Kravchik A.E., Shlaf M.M., Afonin V.I., Sobolenskaya E.A. Asinkhronnyye dvigateli serii 4A: Spravochnik [Asynchronous motors of 4A series: Reference book]. Moscow, Energoizdat Publ., 1982, 504 p. (In Russian)

9. Alekseyev Yu.I., Bogoslovskiy A.P., Pevzner E.M., et al. Kranovoye oborudovaniye: Spravochnik [Crane equipment: Reference book]. Moscow, Energiya Publ., 1979. 240 p. (In Russian)

10. Yaure A.G., Pevzner E.M. Kranovyy elektroprivod [Crane electric drive]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1988. 344 p. (In Russian)

11. Goldberg O. D, Sviridenko I. S. Proyektirovaniye elektricheskikh mashin [Design of electrical machines]. Moscow, Vysshaya shkola Publ., 2006. 430 p. (In Russian)

12. Katsman M.M. Raschet i konstruirovaniye elektricheskikh mashin [Calculation and design of electrical machines]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1984. 360 p. (In Russian)

13. Zyuzev A.M, Metelkov V.P., Maksimova V.A. Calculation parameters of the two-mass thermodynamic model of asynchronous motor. Energetika. Innovatsionnyye napravleniya v energetike. CALS-tekhnologii v energetike [Power engineering. Innovative directions in the energy sector. CALS-technologies in the energy sector.]. Materials of the VI Int. Sc. and Techn. Internet Conference (Perm, 1–30 Nov. 2012). Perm, National research polytechnic university Publ., 2013, pp. 121-131. (In Russian)

14. Sipaylov G.A., Sannikov D.I., Zhadan V.A. Teplovyye, gidravlicheskiye i aerodinamicheskiye raschety v elektricheskikh mashinakh [Thermal, hydraulic and aerodynamic calculations in electric machines]. Moscow, Vysshaya shkola Publ., 1989. 239 p. (In Russian)

15. Borisenko A.I., Kostikov O.N., Yakovlev A.I. Okhlazhdeniye promyshlennykh elektricheskikh mashin [Cooling of industrial electric machines]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1983. 296 p. (In Russian)

16. Chilikin M.G., Sandler A.S. Obshchiy kurs elektroprivoda [General course of the electric drive]. Moscow, Energoizdat Publ., 1981. 576 p. (In Russian)

17. Onishchenko G.B., Aksenov M.I., Grekhov V.P., Zaritskiy M.N., Kuprikov A.V., Nitiyevskaya A.I. Avtomatizirovannyy elektroprivod promyshlennykh ustanovok [Automated electric drive of industrial installations]. Moscow, RASHN Publ., 2001. 520 p. (In Russian)

18. Zakharov A.V., Kobelev A.S., Kudryashov S.V. Determination of temperature extremes and permissible loads of enclosed induction motors with squirrel cage rotor, operated in a wide range of rotation speed. Elektrichestvo [Electricity], 2010, no. 12, pp. 35-42. (In Russian)

19. Filichev O.A., Pozdeyev N.D. Ustroystvo dlya zashchity trekhfaznykh asinkhronnykh dvigateley [Device for protection of three-phase asynchronous motors]. Patent RF, no. 2415504, 2011. (In Russian)

20. GOST 27888-88. Rotating electrical machines. Built-in thermal protection. Rules for protection. Moscow, Publishing house of standards, 1989. 18 p. (In Russian)