download PDF

Abstract

Centrifugal fans with high-voltage asynchronous drives consume a large proportion of the electricity at various production facilities. The majority of the fan installations, however, operate with excessive energy consumption. This can be reduced by adapting the performance of the fans to the operation needs. Selecting the most energy-efficient method requires the investigation of a mathematical model that takes all relevant site characteristics into account. The authors review a mathematical model of the centrifugal fan based on its rated aerodynamic parameters. This model is necessary to solve the optimal control problem for high-power industrial fans using the minimum power consumption criterion. Solving this problem requires a theoretical research of various fan output control methods and selecting the most energy-efficient method for the given operating conditions. This work rationalizes the modification of the known approximating functions of the aerodynamic parameters that do not account for the fan output control using the axial distributor. The authors provide an analytical description of aerodynamic parameters of a high-power fan using a power polynomial of three variables fit for the researching of fan energy efficiency under frequency control, throttling, and axial-distributor control. The article describes the model in a compact matrix form and sets forth the limitations of its applicability. The authors obtain a target function to solve the optimal control problem for fans. The maximum energy efficiency function determines the optimum mode of fan operation according to the criterion of minimum energy consumption. The function determines the range of fan speed and blade angle of the axial distributor that corresponds to the energy-efficient control range of the fan performance.

Keywords

Centrifugal fan, aerodynamic parameters, energy efficiency, output control, axial distributor.

Maksim V. Vecherkin

Ph.D. (Engineering), Associate Professor, Department of Physics, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8679-9831

Anvar S. Sarvarov

D.Sc. (Engineering), Professor, Department of Automated Electric Drive and Mechatronics, Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0529-4488

Irina G. Samarina

Assistant Professor, Automated Control Systems Department, Power Engineering and Automated Systems Institute, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0045-9028

Irina P. Romanova

Undergraduate Student, Department of Computer Science and Information Security, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia,This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Irina Yu. Bogacheva

Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Leznov B.S. Energosberezhenie i reguliruemyj privod v nasosnyh i vozduhoduvnyh ustanovkah [Energy saving and controlled drives in pumping and blowing plants]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 2006. 360 p. (In Russian)

2. Vakhvakhov G.G. Rabota ventilyatorov v seti [Network operation of fans]. Moscow, Stroyizdat Publ., 1975. 101 p. (In Russian)

3. Vakhvakhov G.G. Energosberezhenie i nadezhnost ventilyatornyh ustanovok [Energy saving and fan unit reliability]. Moscow, Stroyizdat Publ., 1989. 176 p. (In Russian)

4. Krupnikov A.V., Vanyashov A.D., Yanvarev I.A. Determining the energy efficiency of air cooling units based on systems with various numbers of fans. Omskij nauchnyj vestnik [Omsk Scientific Bulletin], 2010, no. 3 (93), pp. 173–176. (In Russian)

5. Vecherkin M.V., Sarvarov A.S. Researching the output control methods for the LPTs-10 fan station at Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works. Izvestiya vysshih uchebnyh zavedenij. Elektromekhanika. [Russian Electromechanics], 2006, no. 4, pp. 34-38. (In Russian)

6. Solomakhova T.S., Chebysheva K.V. Centrobezhnye ventilyatory. Aerodinamicheskie skhemy i harakteristiki [Centrifugal fans. Aerodynamic designs and parameters: A handbook]. Moscow, Machine building Publ., 1980. 176 p. (In Russian)

7. AO «Cheboksarskiy elektromekhanicheskiy zavod» (JSC Cheboksary Electromechanical Plant). Available at: https://www.emz74.ru/catalog/?id=1361 (accessed 02 October 2022)

8. Glikman B.F. Matematicheskie modeli pnevmogidravlicheskih sistem [Mathematical models of pneumatic hydraulic systems]. Moscow, Science, Physics and Maths chief editorial board Publ., 1986. 368 p. (In Russian)

9. Kostyshin V.S. Modelirovanie rezhimov raboty centrobezhnyh nasosov na osnove elektrogidravlicheskoj analogii. Kand. Diss. [Modeling the operating modes of centrifugal pumps based on electrohydraulic analogy. Kand. Diss.] Ivano-Frankivsk, 2000. 163 p. (In Russian)

10. Lokhov S.P., Buzov A.A., Lokhov A.S. Searching for the electromechanical models of turbine mechanisms. Vestnik YUzhno-Uralskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Bulletin of the South Ural State University], 2001, no. 4, pp. 100-105. (In Russian)

11. Glebov R.S., Tumanov M.P., Antyushin S.S. Practical aspects of the identification of a mathematical model for a fan unit. Estestvennye i tekhnicheskie nauki [Natural and Technical Sciences], 2012, no. 2 (58), pp. 330-340. (In Russian)

12. Onishchenko G.B., Yunkov M.G. Elektroprivod turbomekhanizmov [Electric drives of turbine mechanisms]. Moscow, Energy Publ., 1972. 240 p. (In Russian)

13. Svechko M.V., Pitolin V.E. The spline approximation and graphic parameter interpolation method for complex power facilities in computing models. Vestnik Polockogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Vestnik of Polotsk State University. Series S, Fundamental Sciences], 2007, no. 3, pp. 85-89. (In Russian)

14. Sayt internet-magazina tekhniki avtomatizatsii SIEMENS (Website of the online store of SIEMENS automation equipment)ю Available at: https://simatic-market.ru/catalog/Siemens-CA01/5000511/info/ (accessed 02 October 2022)

15. Vecherkin M.V., Sarvarov A.S., Petushkov M.Yu. Modelling the aerodynamic performance of centrifugal fans. Elektrotekhnicheskie sistemy i kompleksy [Electrotechnical systems and complexes], 2006, no. 14, pp. 11-15. (In Russian)

16. GOST 10616-2015. Radial and axial Fans. Dimensions and parameters. Мoscow, Standartinform Publ., 2016. 23 p. (In Russian)

Vecherkin M.V., Sarvarov A.S., Samarina I.G., Romanova I.P., Bogacheva I.Yu. Modeling the Aerodynamic Parameters of Centrifugal Fans with an Axial Distributor. Elektrotekhnicheskie sistemy i kompleksy [Electrotechnical Systems and Complexes], 2022, no. 4(57), pp. 69-75. (In Russian). https://doi.org/10.18503/2311-8318-2022-4(57)-69-75