download PDF

Abstract

The analysis of common methods and systems of thermal protection of electric motors is carried out. It is shown that the most promising of them are the methods based on monitoring the active resistance of the stator winding of an electric motor, the value of which is uniquely determined by its temperature. However, such methods require either the input of a constant measuring current, or the selection of the indicated parameters by an algorithmic way from the operating variables. A new method of thermal protection of AC electric motors is proposed. The method is based on the fact that a change in the active and / or reactive components of the impedance of the winding due to a change in its temperature causes a corresponding change in the angle between the vectors of phase voltages and currents. This provides thermal protection by controlling the change in the specified angle. The corresponding version of the structural block diagram of the device that implements the proposed method of thermal protection has been developed. Experimental studies have been carried out, the results of which have confirmed the efficiency and effectiveness of the proposed technical solution.

Keywords

AC motor, thermal model, soft start device, active resistance of the stator winding, synchronous detector, in-phase and quadrature components of the supply voltage, phase difference between voltage and current vectors.

Igor V. Bochkarev

D.Sc. (Engineering), Professor, Department of Electromechanics, Power Engineering Faculty, Kyrgyz State Technical University named after I. Razzakov, Bishkek, the Kyrgyz Republic. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9873-9203

Ivan V. Bryakin

D.Sc. (Engineering), Senior Researcher, Chief of the Laboratory of information and measuring systems, Institute of Mechanical Engineering and Automation, National Academy of Sciences of the Kyrgyz Republic, Bishkek, the Kyrgyz Republic. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7463-8072

Vadim R. Khramshin

D.Sc. (Engineering), Professor, Department of Industrial Electric Power Supply, Power Engineering and Automated Systems Institute, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: https://orcid.org/ 0000-0003-0972-2803

Aida R. Sandybaeva

Assistant Professor, Department of Electromechanics, Power Engineering Faculty, Kyrgyz State Technical University named after I. Razzakov, Bishkek, the Kyrgyz Republic. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1097-0989

1. Kisarimov R.A. Elektroprivod: Spravochnik [Electric drive: Handbook]. Moscow: RadioSoft, 2012. 352 p. (In Russian)

2. Bezchastnov G.A., Krasilnikov A.M., Nemeny T.M., FilippovYu.A. Kontrol sostoyaniya izolyatsii elektricheskikh mashin v ekspluatatsii [Insulation monitoring of electrical machines in operation]. Moscow: Energoprogress, 2001. 64 p. (In Russian)

3. Hewitson L., Brown M., Balakrishnan R. Practical power systems protection. Newnes, 2005. 289 p.

4. Mccleer P.J. The Theory and Practice of Overcurrent Protection. Mechanical Products in Jackson, Mich. 1987. 233 p.

5. Paithankar Y. G., Bhide S. R. Fundamentals of Power System Protection. Prentice-Hall of India Pvt. Ltd 2004. 301 p.

6. Yundin M.A. Tokovaya zashchita elektroustanovok [Current protection of electrical installations]. St. Peterburg: Publishing house "Lan", 2011. 288 p. (In Russian)

7. Gordov A.N., Zhagullo O.M., Ivanova A.G. Osnovy temperaturnykh izmereniy [Basics of temperature measurements]. Moscow: Energoatomizdat, 1992. 303 p. (In Russian)

8. Zhi Gao. Sensorless stator winding temperature estimation for induction machines. Georgia Institute of Technology. 2006. 204 p.

9. Makarov A.V., Vecherkin M.V., Zavyalov A.S. Review of thermal models of induction motors. Elektrotekhnicheskie sistemy i kompleksy [Electrotechnical systems and complexes], 2013, no. 21, pp. 75-84. (In Russian)

10. Gao Zhi, Habetler T. G., Harley R. A. An Online Adaptive Stator Winding Temperature Estimator Based on a Hybrid Thermal Model for Induction Machines. IEEE International Conference on Electric Machines and Drives, 2005, pp. 754-761.

11. Zhang P., Du Y., Habetler T. G. A transfer function-based thermal model reduction study for induction machine thermal overload protective relays. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 2009, vol. 46, Issue 5, pp. 1919-1926.

12. Bochkarev I.V., Ashmarin A.V. A device for measuring the temperature of the winding of an alternating current electric machine under load. 1108337 SU, MKI G01K7 / 16, G01R27 / 08, app. 11/23/81; publ. 08/15/84, Bul. No. 30. (In Russian)

13. Albla A. A. H., Brkovic B. M., Ječmenica M. M., Lazarevic Z. M. Online temperature monitoring of a grid connected induction motor. Engineering, 2017, p. 276-282.

14. Bochkarev I.V. Measuring the winding temperature of AC machines under load. Russian Electric Engineering. New York, Allerton Press, Inc. 1999, vol. 70, no. 2, pp. 28-32.

15. Bochkarev I.V., Ashmarin A.V. Device for measuring the temperature of the winding of an electric machine / A. s. 998873 SU, MKI G01K7 / 16, app. 09/15/81; publ. 02/23/83, Bul. No. 7. (In Russian)

16. Bochkarev I.V., Ashmarin A.V. Device for thermal protection of an electrical machine / A.S. SU No. 1187234. MKI Н02Н5 / 04, Н02Н7 / 08. Stated 04/23/83, published 10/23/1985, Bull. No. 39. (In Russian)

17. Zhang P., Lu B., Habetler T. G. Active stator winding thermal protection for AC motors. Conference Record of 2009 Annual Pulp and Paper Industry Technical Conference 2009, pp. 11-19.

18. Zhang P. Active thermal protection for induction motors fed by motor control devices. Georgia Institute of Technology, 2010. 202 p.

19. Lee S.B., Habetler T.G. An On-line Stator Winding Resistance Estimation Technique for Temperature Monitoring of Line-connected Induction Machines. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 2003, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 685-694.

20. AalabafSabaghi M., Feshki Farahani H., Hafezi H.R., Kiani P., Jalilian A. Stator winding resistance estimation for temperature monitoring of induction motor under unbalance supplying by DC injection method. Engineering 2007, 42nd International Universities Power Engineering Conference 2007, pp. 217-222.

21. Sabaghi M., Farahani H. F. Monitoring of induction motor temperature under unbalanced supplying by stator resistance estimation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 2012, vol. 5, no 3, pp. 2354-2359.

22. Enany T.A., Wahba W.I., Hassan M. A Remote and Sensorless Stator Winding Temperature Estimation Method for Thermal Protection for Induction Motor. Engineering, Computer Science IJSDA. 2014, vol. 3, pp. 53-72.

23. Zhang P., Lu B., Habetler T. G. A Remote and Sensorless Stator Winding Resistance Estimation Method for Thermal Protection of Soft-Starter-Connected Induction Machines. Computer Science, Engineering. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 2008, vol. 55, no.10, pp. 3611-3618.

24. Zhang P., Du Y., Lu B., Habetler T. G. A DC Signal Injection-Based Thermal Protection Scheme for Soft-Starter-Connected Induction Motors. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 2009, vol. 45, pp. 1351-1358.

25. Enany T. A., Hassan M., Othman E. S. Induction motor temperature monitoring via signal injection enhanced with adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system. Engineering, 2017, pp. 91-109.

26. Zhang P., Lu B., Habetler T. G. An active stator temperature estimation technique for thermal protection of in-verter-fed induction motors with considerations of impaired cooling detection. IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference, 2009, 9 p.

27. Matic P. R., Gecic M. A., Lekić Đ., Marcetic D. P. Thermal Protection of Vector-Controlled IM Drive Based on DC Current Injection. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 2015, vol. 62, Issue 4, pp. 2082-2089.

28. Tshimanga T. P., Bezabih E., Iyer V. R., Zhang S., He L., Harley R. G. Stator temperature estimation of open-loop controlled induction machines via active DC voltage injection. North American Power Symposium (NAPS), 2015.

29. Baneira F., Asiminoaei L., Doval-Gandoy J., Delpino H.A.M., Yepes A. G. G., Godbersen J. Estimation Method of Stator Winding Resistance for Induction Motor Drives Based on DC-Signal Injection Suitable for Low Inertia. IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 2019, vol. 34, pp. 5646-5654.

30. Yoo J., Lee J.-H., Sul S.-K., Baloch N. A. Stator Resistance Estimation Using DC Injection With Reduced Torque Ripple in Induction Motor Sensorless Drives. IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, 2020.

31. Bryakin I.V., Bochkarev I.V., Bagiev Kh.G., Kelebaev K.K. Temperature control of windings and protection against overheating of AC electric machines. Vestnik YuUrGU. Seriya «Energetika» [Bulletin of SUSU. Series "Energy"], 2019, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 75–84. (In Russian)

32. Bryakin I.V., Bochkarev I.V., Kelebaev K.K. Diagnostics of the parameters of AC electrical machines. Elektrotekhnicheskie sistemy i kompleksy [Electrical systems and complexes], 2017, no. 4 (37), pp. 38-44. (In Russian)

33. Bryakin I.V., Bochkarev I.V. Sposob izmereniya sostavlyayushchikh polnogo soprotivleniya i ustroystvo dlya ego realizatsii [Method for measuring impedance components and a device for its implementation]. Patent RU, no. 2691624. 2019.