download PDF

Abstract

The paper is concerned with the importance of investigating the influence of the operation life of transformers on their energy characteristics. This problem is really pressing for all the network transformers of the PJSC “Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works” (PJSC “MMK”) as a significant number of them have been in operation for 50 years of even longer. The literature review carried out by the research group revealed that in most cases the information about energy characteristics and about the transformer efficiency is obtained from the calculations based on the certified values of the idling losses and short-circuit losses. The research group noted the efficiency of experimental determination of the transformer efficiency on the basis of the idling losses and short-circuit losses. An experiment was carried out to calculate electric losses by power measurement using the two-wattmeter method. The connection diagram of the measuring device was considered. The assessment was given to the influence of the power measurement accuracy on the calculation of the transformer efficiency, which has been in operation for more than 60 years. The results of experimental data processing are presented. The investigations confirmed the insignificant increase of iron losses and the decrease of the transformer performance by about 0.5%. This confirms the possibility of making use of transformers for longer periods then the normative period if timely maintenance work and scheduled repairs are provided. The authors carried out the analysis of the obtained results and compared them with the materials published by other scientists. They stressed the need to take into account the increase in iron losses when the service life exceeds 20 years. The paper also provides recommendations on improving of the maintenance service by means of installation of on-line state monitoring systems.

Keywords

Power transformer, service life, performance, electric losses, experiment, literature review, statistics, maintenance service, on-line monitoring, recommendations.

Nikolay N. Druzhinin

Production engineer, Central electro-technical laboratory, PJSC «Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works», Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Artur A. Sarlybaev

Ph.D. (Engineering), Manager of the planning and reliability department, Steel Service-2 shop, United Service Company LLC, Magnitogorsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Ekaterina A. Khramshina

Research officer, Nosov Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Magnitogorsk, Russia.

Olga I. Karandaeva

Ph.D. (Engineering), Research officer, South-Ural State University, Chelyabinsk, Russia.

1. E.A. Kuznetsov, A.Ya. Albrekht, O.I. Karandaeva, S.L. Tsemoshevich. Analysis of Power Transformer Damage Rate at Electric Power Stations of a Metallurgical Enterprise // Izvestiya vuzov. Elektromekhanika [Proceedings of Universities. Известия вузов. Electrical engineering]. 2011, no. 4, pp. 82–85. (In Russian)

2. Nikolaev N.A., Nikolaev A.A., Lednov R.A. Diagnostics of transformer technical state as a basis for security of energy supply of an industrial enterprise // Elektrotekhnicheskie sistemy i kompleksy [Electrotechnical Systems and Complexes], 2014, no. 4, pp. 34–40. (In Russian)

3. Karandaeva O.I. Damage rate characteristics of network and main transformers of OJSC “Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works” // Vestnik Yuzhno-Uralskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seria “Energetika” [Bulletin of the South-Ural State University. Series “Power engineering”]. Issue 16, 2011, no. 34(251), pp. 15–20. (In Russian)

4. Kireeva E.A. Deterioration of power transformers // Promyshlennaya energetika [Industrial power engineering]. 2004, no. 2, pp. 14-16. (In Russian)

5. Druzhinin V.V. Magnitnye svoistva elektrotekhnicheskoi stali [Magnetic properties of electrical steel]. М.: Energy, 1974. 240 p. (In Russian)

6. Kurguzova S.N. Deterioration of magnetic structure of power transformers // Vestnik PGU im. S.Toraygyrova. Seriya energeticheskaya [Bulletin of Toraygyrov PSU. Series: Energy]. 2005, no. 1, pp. 117-120. (In Russian)

7. Badalyan N.P., Medvedev V.O., Molokin Yu.V., Chascshin E.A. Influence of deterioration of interlayer isolation of magnetic core on energy efficiency of transformers when they are in operation beyond the standard operation time // Vestnik NPUA. Elektrotekhnika. Energetika [Bulletin of NPUA. Electrical engineering. Power engineering], 2019, no. 1, pp. 30-41. (In Russian)

8. Kurguzova S.N., Kurguzov N.N. Influence of transformer service life on characteristics of its cost-effective performance // Nauka i tekhnika Kazakhstana [Science and engineering of Kazakhstan]. 2005, no. 1, pp. 60-63. (In Russian)

9. Fursanov M.I., Petrashevich N.S. Determination of replacement efficiency of transformers with long service life // Izvestiya vuzov i energeticheskikh obyedineniy SNG. Energetika. [Proceedings of universities and energy associations of CIF. Power engineering]. 2014, no. 3, pp. 13-19. (In Russian)

10. Petrashevich N.S. Influence of load parameters on the efficiency of replacement of distribution transformers // Izvestiya vuzov i energeticheskikh obyedineniy SNG. Energetika. [Proceedings of universities and energy associations of CIF. Power engineering]. 2013, no. 4, pp. 28–36. (In Russian)

11. Calculation of transformer efficiency empirically. Transformer efficiency. URL: https://sibay-rb.ru/energy-metering/determination-of-the-efficiency-of-the-transformer-by-practical-means-coefficient-of-useful-transformer-action.html

12. Gracheva E.I., Naumov O.V., Fedotov E.A. Influence of output capacity of power transformers on their production characteristics // Problemy energetiki [Issues of power engineering], 2017, vol. 19, no. 7-8, pp. 71-76. (In Russian)

13. Kazakov Yu.B., Frolov V.Ya., Korotkov A.V. Method of idling loss power calculation for transformers with different service life // Vestnik IGEU [Bulletin of IGEU]. 2012, Issue 1, pp. 20-24. (In Russian)

14. Galimova A.A. Selection criteria of load factor of power transformer in the design process of distributing mains substations // Problemy energetiki [Issues of power engineering], 2013, no. 5-6, pp. 66-71. (In Russian)

15. Kostinskiy S.S. Review of the state of transformer production and development trends of power transformer design // Problemy energetiki [Issues of power engineering], 2018, vol. 20, no. 1-2, pp. 14-32. DOI:10.30724/1998-9903-2018-20-1-2-14-32 (In Russian)

16. Tikhomirov P.M. Raschet transformatorov [Design of transformers]. Мoscow: Energoatomizdat, 1986. 8 p. (In Russian)

17. Katsman M.M. Elektricheskie mashiny i transformatory [Electrical machines and transformers]. Мoscow: High school, 1976. 181 p. (In Russian)

18. Alekseenko G.V., Ashryatov A.K., Veremey E.V., Frid E.S. Ispytanie moscshnykh transformatorov i reaktorov [Testing of power transformers and reactors]. Мoscow: Energy, 1978. 95 p. (In Russian)

19. Izmeritel parametrov silovykh transformatorov K 540-3. [Measuring instrument of K540-3 power transformer parameters] Operations manual К540-3-1.00.00.00RE. URL: http://molnia-lab.ru/files/uploads/540-3-rossiya-20151491210778.pdf (In Russian)

20. Farbman S.A., Bun A.Yu., Raikhlin I.M.. Remont i modernizatsiya transformatorov [Repair and updating of transformers]. Мoscow: Energy, 1976. 412 p. (In Russian)

21. Krasovskiy P.Yu. Calculation of process losses of electrical engineering in power transformers taking into account their service life // Elektrifikatsiya transporta [Electrification of transport], 2015, no. 10, pp. 74–80. (In Russian)

22. Kazakov Yu.B., Kozlov A.B., Korotkov B.B. Account of change in idling losses of transformers during operation in the process of loss calculation in distribution mains. Kazakov // Elektrotekhnika [Electrical engineering]. 2006, no. 5, pp. 11-16. (In Russian)

23. Korotkov A.V., Frolov V.Ya. Estimation methods of equipment of electrical complexes of urban distribution mains // Elektrika [Electrical engineering]. 2014, no. 1, pp. 6-10. (In Russian)

24. Korotkov A.V., Frolov V.Ya. Measurement results of idling loss power of transformers with different service life // Elektrika [Electrical engineering]. 2011, no. 8, pp. 8-11. (In Russian)

25. Zaugolnikov V.F., Balabin A.A., Savinkov A.A. Some aspects of efficient operation of power transformers // Promyshlennaya energetika [Industrial power engineering]. 2006, no. 4, pp. 10-14. (In Russian)

26. Balabin A.A., Yu.D. Volchkov Improving the reliability of estimates of electric energy losses in 10(6)/0.4 kW transformers // Mekhanizatsiya i elektrifikatsiya selskogo hozyaystva [Mechanization and electrification of agriculture]. 2009, no. 4, pp. 22-23. (In Russian)

27. Gracheva E.I., Naumov O.V., Sadykov R.R. Accounting of idling losses of transformers during operating life in the process of calculation of electric energy losses in distribution mains // Problemy energetiki [Issues of power engineering], 2016, no. 1-2, pp. 53-63. (In Russian)

28. Osotov V.N. Practical aspects of assessment of the useful life of power transformers // III Naucho-prakticheskaya konferentsiya “Kontrol tekhnicheskogo sostoyaniya oborudovaniya obyektov energetiki” [III Scientific conference “Technical state control of power engineering equipment”]. Moscow, VVTS, 2016. URL: http://www.uraldiag.ru/UPLOAD/user/stati/prakticheskie-aspekty-otsenki-sroka-sluzhby-transformatorov.pdf (In Russian)

29. Lvov M.Yu. Analysis of damage rate of power transformers with the voltage of 100 kV and higher // Elektrichestvo [Electricity]. 2010, no. 2, pp. 27–31. (In Russian)

30. Khramshin V.R., Nikolayev A.A., Evdokimov S.A., Kondrashova Y.N., Larina T.P. Validation of Diagnostic Monitoring Technical State of Iron and Steel Works Transformers. Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE NW Russia Young Researchers in Electrical and Electronic Engineering Conference (2016 EIConRusNW). 2016. P. 596-600. DOI: 10.1109/EIConRusNW.2016.7448253.

31. Sistemy monitoringa silovykh transformatorov [Monitoring systems of power transformers] // Appendix to the order of the OJSC “FSK EES” dated 18.04.2008 no. 140 «Monitoring systems of power transformers and autotransformers. General technical requirement». URL: http://silovoytransforma tor.ru/stati/sistemy-monitoringa-silovyh-transformatorov.htm. (In Russian)

32. Methodical directions for to diagnostic of mains transformers, the autotransformers, bypassing chokes and their feedings into МУ 0634-2006. Concern «ROSENERGOATOM». URL: -transformatorov-i-shuntiruyuschih-reaktorov.htm

33. Khramshin V.R., Evdokimov S.A., Nikolaev А.А., Nikolaev A.А., Karandaev A.S. Monitoring Technical State of the Power Transformers Is a Necessary Condition of the Smart-Grid Technolgy Introduction within the Industrial Electric Networks. Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE NW Russia Young Researchers in Electrical and Electronic Engineering Conference (EIConRusNW), pp. 214-220. DOI: 10.1109/EIConRusNW.2015.7102265

34. Evdokimov S.A., Karandaev A.S., Khramshin V.R., Kondrashova U.N., Nikolaev А.А. Monitoring and Diagnostics of the Electrical Equipment as a Component of the Smart Grid Technologies in the Industrial Electric Networks. Abstracts of the first international scientific conference "Science of the Future". URL: http://www.p220conf.ru/abstracts/download/5-mech/437-s-karandaev.

35. Nikolaev A.A. Introduction of technical state monitoring system of the 80 MVA transformer of the power generating unit of the combined heat power plant of the OJSC “MMK” // Elektrotekhnicheskie systemy i kompleksy [Electrotechnical systems and complexes], 2016, no. 2(31), pp. 52–57. DOI: 10.18503/2311-8318-2016-2(31)-52-57. (In Russian)

36. Evdokimov S.A., Kondrashova Yu.N., Karandaeva O.I., Gallyamova M.S. Stationary System for Monitoring Technical State of Power Transformer. Procedia Engineering.2016, vol. 150, pp. 18-25. DOI: 10.1016/j.proeng.2016.07.270.

37. Selivanov I.A., Karandaev A.S., Evdokimov S.A., Khramshin V.R., Shemetova A.A., Evdokimov A.S., Lukin A.A., Andryushin A.Yu., Shilyaev P.V., Golovin V.V., Titov A.A., Mostovoy S.E., Petryakov S.A.. Improvement of automated electric drives and diagnostics of power electrical equipment // Izvestiya vuzov. Elektromekhanika. [Proceedings of universities. Power engineering]. 2009, no. 1, pp. 5–11. (In Russian)

38. Karandaev A.S., Evdokimov S.A., Sarlybaev A.A., Lednov R.A. Requirements to the technical state monitoring system of the transformer of the ultra-high power electric arc furnace // Mashinostroenie: setevoy elektronnyi nauchnyi zhurnal [Machine-building: Internet scientific journal]. 2013, no. 2, pp. 58–68. (In Russian)

39. Karandaev A.S., Evdokimov S.A., Khramshin V.R., Karandaeva O.I. Information and Measuring System for Electric Arc Furnace Transformer Monitoring // 12th International Conference on Actual Problems of Electronic Instrument Engineering (АPEIE-2014). Novosibirsk, 2014, vol. 1, pp. 273-279. DOI: 10.1109/APEIE.2014.7040896.

40. Lukyanov S.I., Karandaev A.S., Evdokimov S.A., Sarvarov A.S., Petushkov M.Yu., Khramshin V.R. Development and introduction of intellectual diagnostics systems of the technical state of electrical equipment // Vestnik Magnitogorskogo gosudarstvennogo tehnicheskogo universiteta im. G.I. Nosova [Bulletin of Nosov MSTU], 2014, no. 1, pp. 129–136. (In Russian)

41. Radionov A.A., Karandaev A.S., Yachikov I.M., Karandaeva O.I., Gasyarov V.R. Power Transformer Condition Forecast with Time-series Extrapolation. Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Computer and Automation Engineering (ICCAE 2017). Sydney, Australia. 2017. P. 326-330. DOI: 10.1145/3057039.3057106.

42. Radionov A.A., Evdokimov S.A., Sarlybaev A.A., Karandaeva O.I. Application of subtractive clustering for power transformer fault diagnostics. Procedia Engineering, 129, 2015, pp. 22-28. DOI: 10.1016/j.proeng.2015.12.003.

43. Karandaev A.S., Evdokimov S.A., Karandaeva O.I., Mostovoy S.E., Chertousov A.A. Technical state control of power transformers using the acoustic diagnostics method // Vestnik Yuzhno-Uralskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya “Energetika” [Bulletin of the South-Ural state university. Series “Power engineering”]. Issue 10, 2008, no. 26(126), pp. 26–31. (In Russian)

44. Karandaev A.S., Yachikov I.M., Khramshin V.R., Nikolaev A.A. Aims of multiparameter diagnostics of technical state of power transformers in on-line monitoring systems // Izvestiya vuzov. Elektromekhanika [Proceedings of universities. Electrical engineering]. 2016, no. 4 (546), pp. 65-73. (In Russian)

45. Karandaev A.S., Yachikov I.M., Khramshina E.A., Nikolaev A.A., Nikolaev A.A. Practical application of the statistical model of determining the electrical equipment service life // Izvestiya vuzov. Elektromekhanika [Proceedings of universities. Electrical engineering]. 2018, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 43-52. (In Russian)