download PDF

Abstract

Products made of composite materials are widely used due to their strength and stiffness characteristics as well as corrosion resistance. However, in the course of operation, microdamages accumulate in composite materials, which, over time can lead to a loss of design performance. Various defects appear in the manufacture of composite materials. Since the destruction of composite materials is studied in less detail than metals, their use in products with increased requirements for reliability is associated with some degree of risk. To meet the high demands on reliability, it is necessary to apply modern methods of non-destructive testing, which allow identifying existing internal defects, localizing their position and determining linear geometric dimensions. Most of the traditionally used methods of non-destructive testing have certain disadvantages, which often make it impossible to obtain high-quality and most complete information about the defects. Composite materials are also becoming more widely used in electrical machines, which allows them to increase their specific characteristics. In electrical machines, the most loaded units are the shaft, the rotor banding, the stator teeth and bearing units. Therefore, the use of composite materials in these sites requires the creation of diagnostic systems to determine the residual resource and prevent accidents.

This paper presents methods for non-destructive testing of products made of composite materials. The main advantages and disadvantages of each method are given. The article also presents the developed method of eddy current testing for the carbon fiber rotor banding.

Keywords

Diagnostics, composite materials, non-destructive testing, eddy current method, electrical machines.

Flur R. Ismagilov

D. Sc. (Engineering), Professor, Head of the Department of Electromechanics, Ufa State Aviation Technical University, Ufa, Russia. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-2525-9815.

Viacheslav E. Vavilov

Ph.D. (Engineering), Associate Professor, the Department of Electromechanics, Ufa State Aviation Technical University, Ufa, Russia. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5695-6974.

Ildus F. Sayakhov

Engineer, a post-graduate student, the Department of Electromechanics, Ufa State Aviation Technical University, Ufa, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-8545-9862

1. Basov F.A. Kontrol deformirovannogo sostoyaniya i diagnostika povrezhdeniy kompozitsionnykh materialov s pomoshchyu chuvstvitenykh elementov na baze uglerodnykh nitey. Kand. Diss. [Control of the deformed state and diagnosis of damage to composite materials with the help of sensitive elements based on carbon filaments. Ph.D. Diss.]. Moscow, 2006.

2. Sapozhnikov S., Shabley A. Numerical evaluation of the microdamage kinetics of cross-ply GFRPS based on stochastic micro-meso modeling ECCM18 - 18th European Conference on Composite Materials, Athens, Greece, 24-28th June 2018. pp. 24-28.

3. Ismagilov F.R., Vavilov V.Ye., Sayakhov I.F. The use of composite materials in electric machines (review). Novoye v rossiyskoy elektroenergetike [New in the Russian electric power industry], 2018, no. 9, pp. 17-32. (In Russian).

4. Ismagilov F.R., Vavilov V.Ye., Sayakhov I.F., Nurgaliyeva R.A. Evaluation of the effectiveness of fully composite electrical machines. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Elektromekhanika [Russian Electromechanics], 2018, vol. 61. no. 4, pp. 32-39. (In Russian).

5. Hong T.P., Gonon P. and Lesaint O. Water absorption in a glass-mica-epoxy composite [II: field distribution and diagnostic in a stator bar geometry], IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 11-16, February 2009.

6. Ferraris L., Poskovic E. and Franchini F. Defects detection in laminated and soft magnetic composites devices with a novel thermographic method, 2017 IEEE 11th International Symposium on Diagnostics for Electrical Machines, Power Electronics and Drives (SDEMPED), Tinos, 2017, pp. 585-590.

7. Lomazov V. A. Mathematical model of heat diagnostics of a composite material reinforced by one-directed fibre family. Matematicheskoe modelirovaniye [Mathematical modeling], 1990, vol. 2, no. 7, pp. 110–115. (In Russian).

8. Belov A.A., Ivanov YU.D., Shestakov A.A., Tsareva S.G., Chernitsov N.S. Modern methods of diagnosing objects made of composite materials. Aktualnyye problemy gumanitarnykh i yestestvennykh nauk [Actual problems of the humanities and natural sciences], 2015, no. 1, pp. 56-59. (In Russian).

9. Klyuyev V.V. Nerazrushayushchiy kontrol i diagnostika. Spravochnik [Nondestructive testing and diagnostics. Reference book]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 2003. 656 p. (In Russian).

10. Vorobyev V.V., Markin V.B. Kontrol kachestva izgotovleniya i tekhnologiya remonta kompozitsionnykh konstruktsiy [Quality control of manufacturing and repair technology of composite structures]. Novosibirsk: Nauka, 2006. 190 p. (In Russian).

11. Boytsov B.V., Vasilyev S.L., Gromashev A.G., Yurgenson S.A. Nondestructive testing methods used for structures made of PMK. Trudy MAI [Proceedings of the MAI], 2011, no. 49. pp. 1-11. (In Russian).

12. Funck R., (2015). Composite materials in high efficient sleeve applications of electric machines. Circomp GmbH. Access mode: http://www.circomp.de/downloads/circomp-paper-sleeve-applications.pdf, date of application 04.12.18.

13. Savvinova M.E. Electrically conductive polymer composite materials for electrical use, Izvestiya vuzov. Severo-Kavkazskiy region. Tekhnicheskiye nauki [Proceedings of universities. North Caucasus region. Technical Sciences], 2015, no. 4. pp. 44-49. (In Russian).

14. Golev I.M., Ivanova O.M., Bakin K.I. Study of the electrical properties of composite carbon material. Molodoy uchenyy [Young Scientist], 2015, no. 2, pp. 5-10. (In Russian).