download PDF

Abstract

The article presents an approach to creating a system for estimating resource expenditure and predicting the induction motors windings insulation condition based on capacitive leakage currents. The approach is based on the measurement of capacitive leakage currents created by a continuous sequence of rectangular voltage pulses. A decrease in the magnitude of these currents indicates a decrease in the residual life of the winding insulation. Experiments show an exponential decrease in leakage currents due to the development of insulation degradation processes in the long term. It was proposed to estimate the residual resource value using a modeling exponent, whose parameters are determined in the current time mode using parameter identification methods such as the least squares method (OLS) or methods based on the Kalman algorithm. The advantage of the proposed method is the comparative simplicity of the technical means used and the ability to assess the residual life of the winding insulation relying only on the data experimentally obtained through measurement. The article describes the operation of the algorithm for the prediction of the insulation condition based on the parameters identification of the modeling exponent. The possibility of predicting the residual resource, expressed in units of time, as the difference between the predicted time of failure and the current point in time, where the current time here means the operating time is shown. The results of the proposed algorithm simulation with the identification of a modeling exponent based on OLS are given. The algorithm was simulated with a measurement interval of 100 hours with a Gaussian distribution law for the error of measured leakage currents with a standard deviation of 20%. It is shown that the values of the modeling exponent parameters agree quite well with the true values at this level of noise even without using prefiltration of the leakage current measured values sequence.

Keywords

Induction motor, stator winding, winding insulation, residual life, leakage currents, diagnostics, insulation condition monitoring, insulation condition prediction, parameter identification, least squares method.

Vladimir P. Metelkov

Ph.D. (Engineering), Associate Professor, Department of Electric drive and automation of industrial plants, Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, Ekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5640-1637.

Anatoliy M. Ziuzev

D.Sc. (Engineering). Professor, Department of Electric drive and automation of industrial plants, Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, Ekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ORCID: ttps://orcid.org/0000-0002-2233-2730

Il'ya V. Chernykh

D. Sc. (Engineering), Associate Professor, Head of the Department, Department of High Voltage Technique, Ural Federal University named after the first President of Russia B.N. Yeltsin, Ekaterinburg, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Vorobiev N.P., Vorobieva S.N., Sukhankin G.V., Gertsen N.T [Methods and instruments for diagnosing insulation of asynchronous motors]. Polzunovskiy vestnik [Polzunov Bulletin], 2011, no. 2/2, pp. 261–269. (in Russian)

2. Pakhomov A.I. Metody i sredstva diagnostiki izolyatsii asinkhronnykh dvigateley selskokhozyaystvennogo proizvodstva na osnove chastichnykh razryadov. Dis. doct. tekhn. nauk [Methods and tools for diagnostics of insulation of asynchronous motors of agricultural production on the basis of partial discharges. D.Sc. DISS.]. Krasnodar, 2008. 347 p.

3. Engelmann R.H., Middendorf W.H. Handbook of Electric Motors. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1995. 801 p.

4. Baburin S.V., Zhukovskiy V.L., Korzhev A.A., Krivenko A.V. Modern non-destructive testing and diagnostics methods of mining machines electric drives technical condition. Gornoe oborudovanie i elektromekhanika [Mining equipment and electrical engineering], 2009, no. 9, pp. 34−38. (in Russian)

5. Kuznetsov N. L. Nadezhnost elektricheskikh mashin [The reliability of electrical machines]. Moscow, MEI Publ. House, 2006. 432 p.

6. Ermolin N.P., Zherikhin I.P. Nadezhnost elektricheskikh mashin [The reliability of electrical machines]. Leningrad: Energiya, 1976. 248 p.

7. Stone G.C., Boulter E. A., Culbert I., Dhirani H. Electrical Insulation for Rotating Machines: Design, Evaluation, Aging, Testing, and Repair. New Jersey: IEEE Computer Society Press, 2004. 252 p.

8. Brancanto E.L. Insulation Aging. A Historical and Critical Review. IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 1978, vol. EI-13, no. 4, pp. 308−317.

9. Farahani M., Gockenbach E., Borsi H., Schäfer K., Kaufhold M. Behavior of Machine Insulation Systems Subjected to Accelerated Thermal Aging Test. IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 2010, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1364−1372.

10. Tavner P.J., Penman J. Condition Monitoring Electrical Machines. Hertfordshire, U.K.: Research Studies Press, 1987. 282 p.

11. Glazyrin A.S., Glazyrina T.A., Timoshkin V.V., Polishchuk V.I. Ustroystvo dlya diagnostiki elektrodvigateley peremennogo toka [Device for the diagnosis of AC motors]. Patent RF, no. 121086, 2012.

12. Khomutov O.I., Bondarenko T.E., Gribanov A.A. [The problem of comprehensive assessment of changes in the physicochemical properties of electrical insulating materials under actual operating conditions of electrical equipment]. Polzunovskiy vestnik [Polzunov Bulletin], 2002, no. 1, pp. 4−9. (In Russian)

13. Pustakhaylov S.K. Razrabotka mnogokanalnoy sistemy monitoringa asinkhronnykh elektrodvigateley elektrostantsiy. Avtoref. kand. diss. [Development of a multichannel monitoring system for asynchronous electric motors of power plants. Abstract of Ph.D. Diss.]. Stavropol, 2006. 24 p.

14. Sidelnikov L.G., Afanasiev D.O. [Review of methods for monitoring the technical condition of asynchronous motors in operation]. Vestnik PNIIPU. Geologiya. Neftegazovoe i gornoe delo [Bulletin PNIIPU. Geology. Oil, gas and mining], 2013, no. 7, pp. 127–137. (In Russian)

15. Gutov I.A. Prognozirovanie sostoyaniya elektrodvigateley na osnove ispolzovaniya mnogo faktornykh modeley stareniya izolyatsii. Kand. Diss. [Predicting the state of electric motors based on the use of multivariate models of insulation aging. Ph.D. Diss.]. Barnaul, 1997. 259 p.

16. Stashko V.I., Gubin I.B. [Simulation of the insulation state of asynchronous motors windings of seasonally operated equipment based on the use of wave transient indicators]. Polzunovskiy vestnik [Polzunov Bulletin], 2002, no. 1, pp. 51–57. (in Russian)

17. Belousova N. V., Kalyavin V.P., Mozgalevskiy A.V. Opyt testovogo diagnostirovaniya obmotok elektricheskikh mashin [Experience of test diagnosis of electric machine windings]. Leningrad, LDNTP, 1989. 24 p.

18. Levachev A.V. Diagnostika izolyatsii asinkhronnykh elektrodvigateley na osnove ispolzovaniya parametrov skhemy zameshcheniya obmotok. Kand. Diss. [Asynchronous electric motors insulation diagnostics based on the use of parameters of a winding replacement circuit. Ph.D. Diss.]. Barnaul, 2002. 167 p.

19. Nussbaumer P., Vogelsberger M., Wolbank T. Exploitation of induction machine’s high-frequency behavior for online insulation monitoring. 9th IEEE Int. Symp. on Diagnostics for Electric Machines, Power Electron. and Drives, Aug 27, 2013, Valencia, Spain, pp. 579–585.

20. Nussbaumer P., Wolbank T., Vogelsberger M. Separation of disturbing influences on induction machine’s high-frequency behavior to ensure accurate insulation condition monitoring. 28th IEEE. Appl. Power Electron. Conference and Exposition, 17−21 March, 2013, Long Beach, USA, pp. 1158–1163.

21. Metelkov V.P., Borodin M.Yu., Kondakov K.A., Nesterov K.E. Method for monitoring the condition of the motor winding insulation. XVII International Scientific Technical Conference «Alternating current electric drives» – ACED 2018. Ekaterinburg, Russia, 26−30 March 2018. DOI: 10.1109/ACED.2018.8341717.

22. Younsi K., Neti P., Shah M., Zhou J., Krahn J., Weeber K., Whitefield C. On-line capacitance and dissipation factor monitoring of AC stator insulation. IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 2010, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 1441–1452.

23. Lee S.B., Younsi K., Kliman G.B. An online technique for monitoring the insulation condition of ac machine stator windings. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 2005, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 737–745.