download PDF

Abstract

Small and micro wind turbines (micro-wind turbines) with generation power up to 10 kW are used mostly for low power supply distributed facilities. Low and ultra-low power vertical axis wind turbines (VAWT) for DC supply local grids intended for street lighting installations were created and tested at South Ural State University (Chelyabinsk). Series of experimental and theoretical research for optimizing the wind turbine rotor design were made. The main objective was to study the aerodynamic characteristics. The obtained results contain the basic overall elements optimal ratios of a rotor which provides the increase of desired design power. The results include as well the calculated aerodynamic characteristics of the blades, the result of the choice of the optimal profile, calculated relative sizes of the angles of the blades and their installation procedure, and much more. We also calculated the dependence of power efficiency on tip speed ratio with the main aerodynamic curve of the rotor. We obtained data for all the usable range of tip speed ratio for aerodynamic forces and torques required for the strength and dynamic calculation. We have built an array of wind power values as a function of two variables: wind speed and angular rotor speed for the application in the control system.

Keywords

Wind turbine, micro wind, aerodynamic characteristics, rotor, wind power.

Denis V. Korobatov. Ph.D. (Engineering), Associated Professor, Polytechnic Institute, Department of Electric Stations, Grids and Systems of Power Supply, South Ural State University (National Research University), Chelyabinsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Andrey S. Martyanov. Ph.D. (Engineering), Associated Professor, Polytechnic Institute, Department of Electric Stations, Grids and Systems of Power Supply, South Ural State University (National Research University), Chelyabinsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Elena S. Bodrova. Post-graduate student, Polytechnic Institute, Department of Electric Stations, Grids and Systems of Power Supply, South Ural State University (National Research University), Chelyabinsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Sergey A. Tchetoshnikov. Post-graduate student, Polytechnic Institute, Department of Electric Stations, Grids and Systems of Power Supply, South Ural State University (National Research University), Chelyabinsk, Russia. E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Sirotkin E.A., Solomin E.V., et.al. Development State of the World Wind-turbine Industry. Al'ternativnaya energetika i ekologiya [Alternative energy supply and ecology], 2014, no. 05 (145), pp.20–25. (In Russian)

2. Halstead R., Solomin E. Vertical wind turbines (Technical features and advantages of SRC-Vertical wind turbines). Al'ternativnaya energetika i ekologiya [Alternative energy supply and ecology], 2010, no. 1, pp.36–41. (In Russian)

3. Solomin E.V. Application prospects of small wind-power units in agriculture. Mekhanizatsiya i elektrifikatsiya sel'skogo khozyaystva [Mechanization and electrification of agriculture], 2011, Iss. 7, pp.12–15. (In Russian)

4. Shestakov A.L., Kirpichnikova I.M. South Ural State University as a Launch Site of Energy-saving Technology and Application of Renewable Energy Sources. Al'ternativnaya energetika i ekologiya [Alternative energy supply and ecology], 2010, no. 1, pp. 149-152. (In Russian)

5. Kirpichnikova I.M. Scientific research results of the South-Ural State University in the field of renewable energy source application. Al'ternativnaya energetika i ekologiya [Alternative energy supply and ecology], 2014, no. 5 (145), pp. 54-57. (In Russian)

6. Solomin E.V. Kirpichnikova I.M. Martyanov A.S. [Iterative approach in development and enhancement of vertical wind-energy units. Elektrotekhnika. Elektrotekhnologiya. Energetika: cb. nauch. tr. VII mezhdunar. nauch. konf. molodykh uchenykh [Electrical engineering. Electrical engineering technology. Power engineering. Collection of scientific papers of VII international conference of young scientists. Novosibirsk State Technical University. EEE-2015], 2015. (In Russian)

7. Kirpichnikova I.M., Kozin A.A. Analysis of the group of vertical-axis wind turbines in the software package Matlab. International Scientific Journal for Alternative Energy and Ecology, 2014, no. 1(1), pp.43-46.

8. Kirpichnikova I.M., Rakhmatulin I.R. Laboratory investigation of a sun tracker using photo cells. Al'ternativnaya energetika i ekologiya [Alternative energy supply and ecology], 2013, no. 12 (134), pp. 10-14. (In Russian)

9. Kirpichnikova I.M., Chetoshnikov S.A. Modeling of a combined wind and solar energy unit. Al'ternativnaya energetika i ekologiya [Alternative energy supply and ecology], 2016, no. 7-8, pp. 25-31. (In Russian)

10. Kirpichnikova I.M., Topol'skaya I.G., Topol'skiy D.V. Characteristics of the theory of renewable energy sources development in Russia. Al'ternativnaya energetika i ekologiya [Alternative energy supply and ecology], 2014, no. 5(145), pp. 63-68. (In Russian)

11. Solomin E.V. Wind energy units of GRT-Vertikal. Al'ternativnaya energetika i ekologiya [Alternative energy supply and ecology], 2010, no. 1, pp. 10–15. (In Russian)

12. Kirpichnikova I.M., Solomin E.V. Wind energy unit with vertical axis of rotation. Vestnik YuUrGU. Seriya «Energetika» [Vestnik of YuUrGU. Series ''Power engineering''], 2008, iss. 10, no. 26 (126), pp. 32–35. (In Russian)

13. ANSYS CFX Release 10.0 documentation. 2006.

14. Solomin E.V Metodologiya razrabotki i sozdaniya vertikalno-osevykh vetroener-geticheskikh ustanovok [Development and design methodology of vertical wind energy units]. Chelyabinsk, Publishing center of YuUrGU, 2011, 324 p.

15. Kindryashov A.N., Mart'yanov A.S., Solomin E.V. Electrical machines of wind energy units with vertical axis of rotation. Al'ternativnaya energetika i ekologiya [Alternative energy supply and ecology], 2013, no. 01/2(118), pp. 59–62. (In Russian)

16. Solomin E.V., Sirotkin E.A., Kozlov S.V. Electro-Mechanical System of Emergency Braking for Wind Turbine. Elektrotekhnicheskie sistemy i kompleksy [Electrotechnical Systems and Complexes], 2016, no. 1 (3 ), pp. 19-23. (In Russian). doi: 10.18503/2311-8318-2016-1(30)-19-23

17. Shimkovich D.G. Raschet konstruktsiy v MSC/NASTRAN for Windows [Calculation of MSC/NASTRAN structures for Windows]. Moscow, DMK Press Publ., 2001.

18. Tekhnicheskie usloviya na bezopasnost vetrosilovykh ustanovok [Safety specifications of wind energy units]. Germanisher Lloyd.